Bobby Darin Swings [CD]

Where we got this CD is an absolute mystery to me. I think we must have inherited it from Mr Robot's mum, because I'd have been playing it much more if I'd known we had it.

We already own a CD called Sinatra Swings, and were a little disappointed in that. I have reviewed it (here), but in short, it wasn't as upbeat as we'd hoped for. This Bobby Darin CD has all the swing we wanted, the cheek and confidence of 1960s Las Vegas. 
Two tracks I've always really liked when performed by Bobby Darin are 'Mack the Knife' and 'Beyond the Sea' (you can thank The X-Files for getting me into the latter). Both are included on this disc, but as live versions, which I think is great because I've already got the original recorded versions. The live ones are close enough to those to have the same magic, but you can really hear Darin having fun with them. 

There's not a duff track among the 18 on this disc, though. 'After You've Gone', 'Lover Come Back To Me' and 'Mame are my favourites. I prefer Darin's version of 'The Shadow of Your Smile' to Sinatra's, and his version of 'Feeling Good' actually sounds like he is feeling good, which is pretty rare. (Honestly, why do so many versions of that song sound like the singer's one step away from breaking down into miserable sobbing?)

I thought most of the tracks on this were from the 1950s when I heard it, so it was a surprise to realise most were recorded in the 1960s and 1970s. That said, most of the songs are standards from the first half of the 20th century. I guess it's Don Draper in album form!

Comments

  1. You might enjoy Capital Records' series of CDs called "Ultra Lounge" featuring music predominantly from the 1950s and 1960s in genres such as exotica, space age pop, mambo, television theme songs, and lounge. Each CD featured detailed liner notes along with two related drink recipes, tips on how to serve drinks to guests, and often photographs of sculptures made out of bartender items and other objects.
    I collected all of them in the 90's but I think they're downloadable for purchase on iTunes now. Vegas Baby! (High Rolling, Sure Thing, Jackpot!) was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, this series is fab!

      Delete
  2. I bet my husband has this one somewhere, I shall get him to dig it out! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really been enjoying it. Browsing through the CDs, I found that and some Alice Cooper that hadn't been put on my iTunes, so I can have new music.

      Delete
  3. I have some "Leopard Lounge" compilation CDs, were they a series? They are great and one called "music for a Bachelorette's Party" which is fab. You would love them I think. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I haven't heard of those. I shall look them up and maybe add them to my Amazon wishlist. (My family uses my wishlist.)

      Delete
  4. I'm a swing fan, but I usually like the earlier recordings. I would give this Bobby Darin cd a listen though, if only because of its cover, which I quite like. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to view the 1930s big band stuff and the later Vegas lounge stuff as completely different genres - I have separate playlists on my iPod for them. (Ooh, it's Friday - Friday is always my lounge music day, I like to relax into the weekend!)

      Delete
  5. My Dad had a 'Mack the Knife' 45 dating back from the day and I used to play it a lot when I was a kid. It was only later that I realised the lyrics are about a hired hitman - nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's from Brecht and Weil's Threepenny Opera.

      The Muppets did it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpSGtT_s7XA

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts