Outfit post: 1920s beach pyjamas for loafing

 Some people do really well at casual looks, but they're my big failure. I think the problem is that I go too casual: for work I have two main looks: tartan or tweed skirt with blouse and/or woolly jumper; and fitted, block-coloured dress with midcentury accessories. I take pride in my workwear, and like to look nice. (It may not be fashionable, and very few other people I encounter would want my clothes, but no-one ever denies that they're fairly smart, especially in an environment with no actual dress code.) At weekends, though, it all falls apart, when I generally find myself slobbing around in one of the pairs of polyester trousers I bought for my trip to Burma in 2013 and a T-shirt. Lightweight and drip-dry is all very well when you're living out of a backpack for a fortnight, but it's a bit tatty. And while it's good to kick back and dress like you don't care every once in a while, I find if I do it too often, I end up not caring for real. And I'm getting too old and heavy to pull off bag-lady chic, I just look like the genuine article.


Of course, the solution to any situation like this is to look at what you do wear for slobbing, and to acquire something that is similarly easy to wear but rather more stylish to look at. There's no point me buying more pencil dresses and convincing myself I'll wear them away from the office, and anyhow I can't picture myself cleaning the bathroom on a Sunday in a tight skirt and nice hosiery. On one of my Pinterest boards I've got a splendid picture of 1920s flapper superstar Colleen Moore in wide-legged trousers and a loose top. THAT IS THE ANSWER! So I ordered a pair of custom-made repro 1920s beach pyjamas off Etsy.

I'm not going to tell you who the seller was for the simple fact that this was the worst buying experience I have ever had on Etsy. I ordered in early August, and expected them to be shipped at the start of October - I was fully prepared to wait as I knew someone was doing it as a custom job. The end of October came and went, the seller didn't respond to any of my messages or via her Facebook page (which I messaged in desperation) and by the end of November I'd written the whole thing off as a bad buy and lost money when they arrived. I hadn't been notified when they'd been shipped. The top's rather too big, but I'm just happy to have them. My reluctance to name-and-shame stems from the fact that the seller had a very good reputation and has done beautiful work, early communication with her was good, and I have a gut feeling that she must be having real life problems right now for things to have gone so badly. I don't want to make hard times worse for anyone.

What I will say is this: for loafing around at home, beach pyjamas absolutely rock. They're comfy, practical and look fab. I do feel slightly guilty as they're so comfy it doesn't really feel as though I've changed out of my nightwear! I've found another Etsy seller with beach pyjamas on her list of custom items, and may well save up and spoil myself some more...

Comments

  1. Those are really nice beach pajamas, even if the seller flaked out on you. You're a kind person giving the benefit of the doubt where others would seize the opportunity to lay into someone.

    I would wear those out (with heels and accessories, of course) but then I typically only get to the library or the store on a typical day.

    Tartan and tweed will ALWAYS be fashionable. Perhaps not trendy, but fashionable yes. They call it, "classic" for a reason.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just have a gut feeling that this wasn't typical for the seller and something went badly wrong. She's closed her Etsy shop, but if it reopens I'll order from her again and see how things go. I don't mind waiting for stuff; when a design is 90 years old it's hardly going to go out of style if it takes an extra month to arrive. The lack of communication was the thing that made the whole experience so bad.

      I do veer towards the boring - ahem, classic. I got horribly patronised buying Iron Maiden CDs for my husband before Christmas; the young chap in the shop said, "These clearly aren't for you." I politely pointed out that Motorhead was the first band I saw live! Clearly the tweed makes a cunning disguise for my deviance... (Note to self: explore the possibilities of a tweed costume for burlesque...)

      Delete
  2. Firstly, a tweed costume for burlesque sounds full of possibilities for routines! I really like these beach pyjamas and they are definitely a smart way to be comfortable. It is a shame that the process of getting them was a bit tricky, hope you enjoy them now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined to enjoy them! And they really are great for loafing around the house.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous option for more casual wear, I really love those! Shame about the experience, but you are very generous of heart to be so nice about it. And I second the tweed burlesque idea. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to work on my casual wear. I go from smart on workdays to unspeakable slob at weekends...

      Delete
  4. How fabulous, they look great, but I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the seller. I've seen beach pajama sewing patterns, so maybe commissioning someone local to you to make you some might be a less stressful option? xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts