Places to go, things to do

Tickets for the 2014 Vintage Nostalgia Show are now on sale! I had an ace time there in 2013 – read my review of the 2013 Vintage Nostalgia Show. Annoyingly, it clashes with the 2014 Frome Steampunk Extravaganza, but although the VNS is further away, camping makes it more convenient, so we're going there. (Frome has a rubbish train service, and it's inconveniently expensive for us to get taxis to/from, but is too close to be worth us paying for a B&B; this isn't likely to be the case for most people!) However, the 2013 event was also excellent – full review of the Frome Steampunk Extravaganza here – and I'd recommend either event for a brilliant time.

This weekend I have a dilemma, as there are two 1940s-themed events going on at Lacock on both Saturday and Sunday. Dig For Victory is happening once more at Whitehall Garden Centre. I've got great affection for that event as when I first discovered it, my grandmother was in hospital. I'd hoped to be able to take her to it in a wheelchair. As it was, I played my Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman music to her on the night she died, and though she was drifting away on painkillers and we were told she was unconscious, she responded to the music. So when Mr Robot and I then went to Dig For Victory and heard the 1940s music, it made me think of my Nannie when she was young and lovely, and I hoped that somewhere she was dancing. I very much enjoyed it, anyway. It had a fair bit on the Home Front as well as the strictly military side of things, which I felt gave it a female-friendly aspect. It's supposed to be even bigger now. It's got shops, displays, dancing, and it's free to get in. The other thing going on is Lacock At War. I think that's likely to be less social, with more emphasis placed on military history. They've got a Dakota doing a flyplast, plus music and living history groups. I suspect that's going to be the bigger of the two events?

So, do I go to one event or try to cram in both? Which would you prefer?

Comments

  1. I'm really tempted by the Vintage Nostalgia Show having just read your review. I am not a happy camper, but wonder if I could manage it for just 2 nights if I'm promised a steady supply of cocktails...

    P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two nights was fine for me, any more would have been too much with no on-site showers. As it is, a big basin that you can lug into your tent and oodles of wetwipes should see you through. (I was actually most appreciative of my wetwipes for hand cleaning after the portaloos; I don't think squirty stuff out of a dispenser feels as clean, and it saved trekking across to one of the taps.)

      Delete
  2. Oh! I would love to go to the VNS - but this is at the end of May and I am not too sure when we are going on honeymoon yet. Camping counts as a honeymoon, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping would only be for two nights... but if you're stuck for a honeymoon destination and don't want to go overseas, Bridport in Dorset is gorgeous, and not far from Lyme Regis, so you could journey down after the show. (Bridport's one of my favourite places in the world.)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I wish I lived closer to these things, looks like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bit late to comment but I'd do a day at each!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts